vf1000 fe

Hi Paul… what make are the cans on the ho. think mine are busso.

Mine are old originals and a bit rattly inside as well.
When i get the oil leak from the sprocket shaft done, i will take it down the wreckers to see if he has anything that will fit.
A nice pair of black Stanetunes will be the go bu8t that is wishfull thinking.
They had a pair of black Stanetunes off a ducati that would have bolted straight on but already gone. [:(!]
Should have got them when i had the chance.

a few more bits and pieces on, still loads to clean prepare and spray ready for re-fitting

Pete, I love the sight of a big bike coming alive again. Its almost like a lion waking up after having been to the vets for an ailment. It stirs slowly but surely and looks pensive. That must be the poet in me …

I`ll be doing the same to mine sometime in the future.

Martin

hi martin,a pensive looking lion eh, just trying to imagine it… about the only lion i can think of that looked slightly pensive was “parsley the lion” from what used to pass as kids telly many moons ago, [:I]
it may be a while before this pussy cat ROARS again [:D][:D] lol

a few more bits fitted, got the radiator and fans nearly ready to assemble, its suprising how much work was involved in that.
think i will fit the front pipes and collector next, will be polishing the front pipes, and a bit of black heat resistant paint on collector.

Pete, what did you do to the frame during the overhaul ? Back to bare metal then a spray ?

Martin

hi martin, the frame is the only thing ive let someone else do, i couldn’t find anyone local to bead/shot blast it for me so i had it powder coated, preparation of the frame was down to Triple S who did the coating and shot blasting was included in there price,
I ended up having to spray the swing arm myself as i couldn’t get the bolt out which fixes the suspension linkage to the arm, no amount of brute force, easing oil and heat would budge it,
As for the preparation, all other metal and alloy bits have been taken back to bare metal, the first bits i primed with a normal single pack etch primer, the last few bits ive done with a 2 pack acid etch primer which really does bite into the bare metal, then a 2 pack primer over that, then base coat and 2 pack lacquer to finish…
At the moment im still practicing all this spraying mularky,I seem to be constantly fighting against long drying times between coats due to low temp, wind, rain and bad light, floating objects that appear from nowhere then land on your freshly painted surface… first time the sun comes out so do the mozzy’s, who just love diving into that sticky lacquer…
But as they say practice makes perfect, had a lot of good advice from philjo about preparation and spraying… ive come to the conclusion though that unless your equiped with some kind of spray booth set up winter probably isnt the best time to undertake major project that require allot of paint…

ooops… rambled on a bit there. lol

done most of the easy bits, now its onto the stuff thats got to look right… [:D]…april aint that far away. [:D][8D]

That motor looks sweet Pete. Inspires me to overhaul my spare and go through the nightmare of changing motors. By the looks of it, you put the frame on the motor, not the motor in the frame. Also, thinking of boosting the power a bit, how does hi comp pistons, and a flow job on the head sound to you? Thought that would give it some extra punch to get that heavy front wheel airborne.

hi manwell, yeah im happy with how things are turning out on the bike, i certainly think there is scope for flowing the heads as most standard vf heads ive seen seem to have a lot of rough casting marks in the ports,

Just a little note guys, dont go completely smooth as a little roughness creates a little turbulance which helps attomise the fuel.

A nice little piece of useless information i hear you say.

Go Hard or go home.

Cheers.

Wow! That really is taking shape Pete, when do you look like having her back on the road?

hi tony, it will be back on the road for april at the latest, have put the front pipes and collector on since my last post, put the silencers and tank on temporary so i could get it started up and check for any oil/water leaks,
progress has slowed considerably as its too cold to spray anything, weve got about 2 inch of snow down and blizzard conditions forcast for next few days, the garage is freezing too making it hard to motivate yourself.

Pete, you sound really under the thumb mate. I`m doing my sparaying at the moment in the kitchen. Lovely and warm and getting an excellent finish.
OK - the toasts a bit red in places but well worth it [:I]

Martin

martin, thats what i like to here, dedication to the cause, unfortunately the 2 pack paint im using takes a long time to clear, sets in your lungs then kills you, you’ll be ok with celloluse and rattle cans though, they are quite healthy, all the kids on our estate are on those or lighter fuel,

finally finished, taxed tested and on the road again… had a few set backs which has held things up, but ready to put a few miles on the clock and iron out any teething problems that’s sure to arise…
NOW WHERE’S THAT BLOOMING SUN GONE !!! [8D][:D]

Wow! That looks beautiful Pete, first class work! I can only hope mine could end up half as good.

cheers tony, yep im pretty happy with the end results… [:D]

Sweeeeeeeeeeet ! Looks bloody marvelous !