Hulme end 2019 (away leg)

Almost ready, I just need an MOT and then good to go, bring on the next chapter of VF fun times:grin::upside_down_face::grin::crazy_face::grinning:

1 Like

Oil changed, tyre pressures done and even some packing done.
Getting excited now :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Evening chaps thought I ought to confirm that I’m still coming and should still be on for the Ponderosa around 2.30/3.00. Really looking forward to this one.

2 Likes

Great, can’t wait. See you all tomorrow, I’ll be there from about 2.

Garyb

2 Likes

Evening again chaps - bit of a distress call -

I was going through very last bike checks earlier and happened to read the oil level check procedure in the pdf workshop manual which says check oil level by inserting dipstick without screwing it in and read level. It does says do this on VF1000F-II but nothing mentioned for the FF. I have an FF and have always screwed dipstick down and then read the level.

Thinking of the long trip I actually topped it using up using the F-II method which does put more in. Starting it up in the garage it sounded a little odd so I took it out on the road - 200yards later it stopped and would not start!! It has been running fine all week even through heavy rain. So - now Its on charge and I’m going to take the oil level down to where it was. Any thoughts on oil level?

Hi dave, the oil check procedure is the same for all vf’s, you test with the dip stick NOT screwed in, if your vf uses a bit of oil it’s ok to slightly overfill them, just over the shoulder of the cross hatch markings.
Hope you get your TV running,

1 Like

Thanks for coming back so quick - that means by this method I have been running around with the oil level low all this time!! Unfortunately it also now means it conked out for another reason. It has been running well so the only other thing that is different today is that I made a number of short trips - could the battery not have caught up on charge I wonder?

Wishing all a safe and fun ride this weekend,due to other commitments I am unable to be with you all.Hope to catch up,perhaps at Stafford over the 20/21st October.
Best regards Bif

4 Likes

As Pete said the method is the same for all vf range don’t screw dip stick in. When you say it sounded a little odd what sort of noise was it making? With your bike being gravity fed I would recommend seeing if any fuel is coming out of tank, if it looks like it’s a bit iffy blow down the fuel pipe until you hear the bubbles in the tank, if bike has stood they tend to get sediment in the tap and internal pipe work.

Hi dave, I would be having a look at the battery and the charging system, these bikes need a good battery,
Yes bif, hopefully catch up at Stafford show

Morning all - appreciate the assist - bit of an update - bike started and ran ok after overnight charge, volts reading ok, took it a few times round our estate and it got me to work including a short blast up a dual carriageway. If it gets me home lunchtime its going to Wales if it doesnt I’ll get there another way.

The odd noise I think was possibly down to it the engine hunting a little more than usual on tick over but the noise wasnt there this morning. By the way Pete you mentioned the need for a good battery system - its running an Alliant Lifepo4 battery which is another oddity ont he bike… hopefully something else to talk about later.

1 Like

Good morning all, well that’s another successful “hulme end” meet up completed, although I have always been a big fan of our original hulme end trips with accommodation at the manifold inn, Derbyshire, on balance I think it was a good move to relocate it to the Royal hotel in llangollen this year.
The hotel was spot on for our needs and llangollen has a number of pubs, bars and restaurants all within a few minutes walk.
It was good to see new member dave there with his modified vf, I think when its finished and painted up it will look stunning.
As always thanks to drew, john, gary and dave for turning up, these trips just wouldn’t be the same without you, you a great bunch of lads, and cheers to gary for sorting the saturday route out.

FB_IMG_1567404426071

P.s, did anyone photograph the bikes lol :thinking::frowning:

3 Likes

I agree with the change of venue but can’t remember if I took any pics of bikes! Will look on phone and post anything I took. Thanks Pete for sorting hotel, a great find and ideal for our purposes, good beer at a reasonable price and plenty of rooms breakfast was spot on aswell. :beer::beer::beer::fried_egg::fried_egg:

3 Likes

20190831_140102 20190830_162011

4 Likes

Good to see you caught a bit of sunshine,Scotland was rather wet for the Friday and Saturday drying up for the return leg on Sunday.
My(and Johnboy’s)nephew is intending to join us next year on an FE rather than his VFR750.
Should be fun

3 Likes

PS love the Sabre Drew

2 Likes

Looks like a good time was had by all!
Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to join you all one one of these jaunts.

A

1 Like

Evening all. I have to say that was a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. It had a bit of everything ~ bikes, open roads and mountains, beer, food and a lot of good bike chat. Huge thanks to the guys for making me welcome and putting up with a couple of problems on my bike ~ hard rear shock and screaming speedo cable.

Having got home I realised that I also had a fork seal leak and on closer inspection a couple of nasty pits which would rip a new set of seals. Got a new stantion from Wemoto but It wouldn’t fit. Turned out to be from a 84 VF and they don’t do one for an 87 ff.

At the moment I’m trying to keep the original forks but now struggling looking for a right hand stantion. Can anyone assist in any way?

On the weekend photo question I only have a bike picture similar to the group shot above the rest were bars, around the town and inside a great little motor museum we visited on the Sunday. Will have to put that right next time.

2 Likes

I’ll have a look in the store for one Dave,no point going down the rechroming route if you intend changing the front end in the near future
Regards Bif

Biff if you have one I’d be really interested in putting it back on the road. After discussions in Wales I came back thinking of a new rear shock, starter motor and possibly a new speedo as this was what was screaming. I hadn’t banked on finding the leaking fork and then the problems in sorting it which is a real pain.